Learn how ArcGIS is been used in tourism
Table of contents
- Featured technology
- Events calendar app
- Awesome projects and cool demos
- Additional resources
- Partners and startups
These are some of the Tourism GIS Applications:
- Personality Atlas – Assigning personality stereotypes to countries around the world based on a sample size of global population’s perspectives. (Personality Atlas)
- Tourist Map – Plotting out landmarks in tourist maps.
- Sunrise and Sunset – Finding the perfect sunrise and sunset during at any given location. (SunCalc)
- Subway Map – Simplifying maps for the reader to better understand such as the lines of a subway map in high contrasting colors. (Cartographer Toolkit** – Gretchen Peterson)
- Linear Referencing – Using linear referencing along shorelines to track volumes of organic debris.
- Off-Beaten Tracks – Finding the off-beaten track for backpackers and marking its position with 3 words. (Off-Beaten Track Location** – What3Words)
- Safe Travel – Advising travelers where unsafe location are on a map.
- Tourism Dollars – Tracking the exports of purchased goods and services using desire lines.
- Sustainable Tourism Planning – Identifying conflicting interests from tourism and solving issues by examining suitable locations for proposed developments.
- Hotel Search – Searching geographically for five star hotels using a circle radius.
- Horizon Blockage – Calculating the horizon blocking line in all directions from a given observation point with gvSIG’s Horizon Blockage.
- Travel Mode Detection – Detecting travel mode (walk, car, bus, subway and commuter rail) from a multi-modal transportation network using GIS and GPS in New York City.
- Finding Islands – Using satellite to find uninhabited islands around the world** – Landsat found Landsat Island near the coast of Canada.
- Time Zones – Representing time zones around the world.
- Eco-Tourism Site Selection – Gauging environmental impacts for sustainable eco-tourism sites.
- Virtual Travel – Seeing your destination before physically being there. (Google Earth Street View)
- Geo-tagging – Discover places with 360 panoramic camera views. (Mapillary)
- Highway Planning – Constructing viewpoints with multiple layers like ecology, topography and cultural features for a three-dimensional visual highway.
- Virtual Arctic – Exploring the Arctic in Google Street View without getting out of your chair.
- 3D Synthetic Scene – Overlaying synthetic scenes over real scene. (Manifold)
- Life Travels – Accompanying travellers in their life travels in map-form. (Where in the World is Andrew?)
- Yellowstone – Putting all the pieces together in a GIS database at Yellowstone National Park including its geologic past, geyser recharge and seismic activity.
- Trip Planning – Adventuring around for your next road trip with pit stops and offbeat using suggested sites.
- Observer Points – Calculating visibility through multiple observer points.
- Historic Street View – Time-travelling in the past to see just how much a location has changed over time with historic street view.
- Geocaching: gamify your city with a GPS-enabled treasure hunt | What is Geocaching? geocaching.com!
- Geolocate audio guides | Similar idea: Panoraudio.es
Extracted from 1000 GIS Applications & Uses – How GIS Is Changing the World
- INSTO Meeting 2017 - The Importance of Geospatial Analysis in Tourism - ESRI & SEGITTUR
- A Digital Workflow for Dynamic Geodesign
- Configurable Apps: Storymaps, Search near places template, ...
- City Engine + ArcGIS Maps SDK for game engines: create compeling videos, games, immersive experiences. | City Engine sample | ArcGIS Maps SDKs for game engines demo
- Quick capture: Gamify data collection o quickly collect information about your city's heritage, organice a geolocated picture contest, ...
- Augeo: Build augmented reality experiences quickly | more about augeo
- AppStudio > Map Tour template: Build a mobile app like this | Tutorial
- Web AppBuilder & Experience builder: build web applications quickcly
- Operations Dashboard
- Network Analyst: shows and / or analyzes the accessibility of hiking trails, etc.
- ArcGIS Hub: share data about your city
Third party technologies / ideas:
- Relive.cc: Track & Share your activities like nothing else
- geocaching.com: PS-enabled treasure hunt
- Geolocated 360º pictures (Drones / UAVs) | Hangar: 360º aerial pictures
Events calendar app
Events Calendar is a configuration of Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS that can be used by the general public to discover festivals, shows, concerts and other events occurring in a community. Event information can be accessed from a smartphone, tablet, and desktop computer. | Video demo
Awesome projects and cool demos
- Custom apps:
- Operations Dashboard:
- Granada bike Tour | Youtube video tour template
- Using Web AppBuilder:
- Digital Twin
- Using Configurable Apps ( MapTour, Shortlist and Finder)) and storymaps:
- Esri Spain Presales Tourism Demos
- Propuesta de proyecto de aplicaciones para contar la historia de la ciudad (+PPT)
- Portal de Gemelos Digitales - Disponible en horario laboral (hora de Madrid)
- Ideas y otros experimetos: escaneo lídar de patrimonio y modelos 3D, etc
Other related list of resources
- 360 Pictures and videos: related product, technologies and partners.
- Augmented reality
- Gigapixel image | List of largest photographs
- GeoDesign & tourism: A Digital Workflow for Dynamic Geodesign
- ArcGIS Online items tagged with "tourism"
Partners and startups
Organizations and the type of relation with this industry or technologies:
|Avuxi||Content: GeoPopularity is an algorithm developed by AVUXI as part of the TopPlace™ produc||Spain|
Is there any partner or startup you can had with expertise on this industry?, learn how to contribute in less than a minute